Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University
Chernivtsi University was founded in 1875 as the Higher Theological School. Due to the fact, that the region was a part of the Austrian Empire classes were held in German.
During the period of Austro-Hungarian rule the university operated three faculties: Greek Orthodox theology (the only one in Central Europe), jurisprudence and philosophy.
Though the general language of instruction was German, professorships on Romanian and Ruthenian Language were also established. At the time of Austro-Hungarian rule, the majority of the Czernowitz students were Jewish and German Austrians, while Ukrainians and Romanians comprised for about 20%–25% of the student body. At times, there were more than 40 German, Ukrainian, Romanian, Polish, Jewish, and Catholic fraternities in the city, reflecting its lingual and religious diversity.
Upon the year 1940 Soviet takeover of the northern Bukovina, the territory was attached to the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic and the primary language in the university was switched to Ukrainian. The university, renamed Chernivtsi State University, was significantly expanded and reorganized.
Since 2000, when the university was awarded National status, it operates under its current name, Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University.
59 buildings spread over the whole city
81.000 sqm of useable space
9 dormitories, 44.000 sqm of space
Faculties and Institutes
Institute of Biology, Chemistry and Bioresources
Institute of Physical, Technical and Computer Sciences
Faculty of Geography
Faculty of Economics
Faculty of Modern European Languages
Faculty of History, Political Science and International Relations
Faculty of Architecture, Civil Engineering, Applied and Decorative Arts
Faculty of Pedagogics, Psychology and Social Work
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
Faculty of Health, Sport and Exercise Sciences
Faculty of Philology
Faculty of Philosophy and Theology
Faculty of Law
Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University is an individual full member of the European University Association. It is also a significant learning, educational and scientific centre in Western Ukraine. The International Office started its official international cooperation in July 1977 when the Academic Cooperation Agreement with Saskatchewan University (Canada) was signed. Nowadays the International Office collaborates with more than 84 establishments of higher education in Europe, Asia, North and South America. International cooperation is annually expanded and improved.
There are 8 dormitories in the university campus (more than 3,000 beds). Dormitories of two types: corridor and block (2 rooms, bathroom). Accommodation is paid semesterly during the first week of the current semester.
Appropriate living conditions are created in the dormitories. The rooms are equipped with the necessary furniture (beds, bedside tables, table and chairs). Students have the right to use computers and electrical appliances (microwave, multicooker, refrigerator, music center, TV) for a fee.
Each dormitory is equipped with a comfortable lobby, kitchens, sanitary facilities, self-training rooms and lounges. The cultural life of the dormitory residents is quite diverse. Many events of intellectual, entertaining and sports character are held on the basis of the club of creative youth “Contact”, the Student center, most of which have already become a tradition.